Head of the Cam 2016
The Head of the Cam Race is held on SATURDAY 23rd APRIL 2016
On the Day
There will be a results and wash-up post; stay tuned.
- Course of 2,600m upstream on the river Cam. Four divisions, VIII's, IV's, smaller boats. BR, CRA, College classes. Click on the map for a larger version, or explore via google maps..
- Deadline for entries: don't make me kill you. Students: note that Easter term starts on Tuesday the 19th.
- Prizes of tastefully engraved glasses for category winners. Winners will be announced and prizes handed out at 4 pm at Queens' Boathouse.
Enquiries and entries: please contact the Race Secretary, William Connolley, at firstname.lastname@example.org / 07985 935400.
For entries, please state your crew details:
Club, boat type (VIII, 4+, 4-, 4x, 2, 2x, 1x, etc),
Crew status (CRA / BR / College 1st Mays, 2nd, etc.),
and any constraints with crews in other divisions.
There are four divisions, at times:
Division 1: 09:00
Division 2: 10:40
I would appreciate it if you would provide an estimate of your expected time, to be used for seeding purposes. This is more important for the VIII's than for anyone else. If you don't provide one, I'll guess. Please attempt to be accurate rather than optimistic or pessimistic. An accurate estimate is most important for crews hoping to race without overtaking or being overtaking, either of which can slow you down. If you've got no idea of your time (new crew, visiting crew, whatever) then don't worry.
Divisions tend to fill up for the VIII's, for which we have a rough limit of 25 per division. But (within reason) we can accommodate as many sculls and small boats as you like.
- Entry: £7.00 per rowing seat.
- Cheques, payable to CRA, should be sent to:
- W M Connolley, 28 Silverdale Avenue, Coton, CB23 7PP (or direct transfer, details on request).
- Put your crew name(s) clearly on the back or on an enclosure.
- Or payment may be made online to:
- "Chesterton Head of the Cam Race Account", sort code 40-16-08, account 44154835.
- Please also mail me and CC email@example.com so we can track payments.
Race control is at Queens boathouse, upstairs. We're open from 7:45 for numbers.
To help marshalling and ensure a prompt start, it will help if the VIII's can make some attempt to come up the reach in reverse order.
The overtaking rule is, as is previous years, "cede the racing line to the faster crew".
The start Marshall will endeavor to be flexible about the start order, particularly at the tail of the divisions, either at crews requests or as seems suitable to them..
- Visiting crews: boating facilities are available at various places along the Cam; you may be able to make arrangements with local clubs. Failing that, facilities are available from Combined Boathouse, by prior agreement. Please get in touch with me by email.
Entry deadline: everyone wants to know what the entry deadline is, so that they can submit their entry 5 minutes before it, or more likely a day afterwards.