The Head of the Cam Race is to be held on SATURDAY 26th APRIL 2014
On the Day
Live results: http://tinyurl.com/headofthecam2014
Course of 2,600m upstream on the river Cam. 4 divisions, VIII's, IV's, smaller boats. BR, CRA, College classes.
NOTE: The "works" on the bank by the finish are over, and we are planning to run the race over the full course.
Deadline for entries
: Tuesday, April the 22nd. This is now in the past, and therefore entries are CLOSED unless you're desperate.
The FINAL draw is now available. Please address questions or comments to the usual email. Note that most of the VIII's need to be grouped together.
Prizes of tastefully engraved shot glasses for category winners. Winners will be announced and prizes handed out at 4 pm at Queens' Boathouse.
Enquiries and entries
Please contact the Race Secretary, William Connolley, at firstname.lastname@example.org / 07985 935400.
For entries, please state your crew details:
- Club, boat type (VIII, 4+, 4-, 4x, 2, 2x, 1x, etc),
- Crew status (CRA / BR / College 1st Mays, 2nd, etc.),
- Preferred division,
- Any constraints with crews in other divisions.
Division 1: 0900
Division 2: 1040
Division 3: 1220
Division 4: 1400
It would be greatly appreciated if you would provide an estimate of your expected time, to be used for seeding purposes. If you don't provide one, I'll guess. Please attempt to be accurate rather than optimistic or pessimistic. An accurate estimate is most important for crews hoping to race without overtaking or being overtaking, either of which can slow you down. If you've got no idea of your time (new crew, visiting crew, whatever) then don't worry.
Divisions tend to fill up for the VIII's, for which we have a rough limit of 25 per division. But (within reason) we can accommodate as many sculls and small boats as you like.
Entry: £7.00 per rowing seat. Cheques, payable to CRA, should be sent to W M Connolley, 28 Silverdale Avenue, Coton, CB23 7PP (or direct transfer, details on request). Put your crew name(s) clearly on the back or on an enclosure.
- Race control is at Queens boathouse, upstairs. We're open from 7:45 for numbers.
- To help marshalling and ensure a prompt start, it will help if the VIII's can make some attempt to come up the reach in reverse order.
- The overtaking rule is, as is previous years, "cede the racing line to the faster crew".
- The start marshall will endeavour to be flexible about the start order, particularly at the tail of the divisions, either at crews requests or as seems suitable to them.
Entry deadline: everyone wants to know what the entry deadline is, so that they can submit their entry 5 minutes before it, or more likely a day afterwards. Don't make me come and kill you. The deadline is the Tuesday before the race, or thereabouts, but I'll do my best to fit you in.
The course is 2,600 m. Click on the map for a larger version, or explore via
boating facilities are available at various places along the Cam; you may be able to make arrangements with local clubs. Failing that, facilities are available from Combined Boathouse, by prior agreement. Please get in touch with me by email.